Review: Glen Ord 12 year old


Ah welcome to the wonderful word of miniatures and whatever the seal they'll evaporate consistently and dramatically. While I understand the human desire to collect something, I cannot fathom miniatures as unlike full size bottles they are not a sufficient vessel to endure the passing of time.

I do enjoy purchasing collective lots at auctions of miniatures as it gives you bang for your buck and a broad spectrum of whiskies. You might not be able to purchase a full sized bottle of that 1966 Macallan but the miniature offers you almost the same experience without the outlay. Yes, there are some bloggers who seem allergic to purchasing any whisky nowadays, but I know a few that see the value in such an approach.

This miniature was given to me by a relative who purchased it in the late 1980's or early 1990's. Proudly proclaiming the heritage of Glen Ord as a Highland malt, the distillery is known today as the Singleton of Glen Ord since 2006. Today's staple version I find to be a very disappointing whisky so I'm interested to see what this previous edition offers in comparison.

My own thoughts on the change in name do not matter when you realise the dramatic success the Singleton brand has experienced. It is more popular abroad (particularly the Asian market) than in the UK and is still a large contributor to blended whiskies. 

Distillery: Glen Ord
Age: 12 year old
Strength: 40% vol
Additional: you can pick up full sized bottles of this release at under for under £100 and I'd say there is caramel colouring added.

Colour: golden honey

Nose: well that's a surprise more sherry influence than I was expecting initially. Caramelised apples reminiscent of Tarte Tatin - oh the joys. Some vanilla as well, a leathery rubbery note and lurking at the rear some all spice and cinnamon. 

Taste: oh my again, I'm slightly caught off guard as I can remember how bland the Singleton is today. This Glen Ord 12 year old has plenty of flavour and packs a punch up front. Sultanas, the richness of red berries, rubbed bronze and toffee.

And they say age doesn't matter? When I think of some whiskies today that lack an age statement or are bottled around the same age as this Glen Ord I'm very surprised. The tasting experience is of a much older whisky; more pronounced and with more to say that many current releases. I'm sure a dram of this would find favour with many whisky enthusiasts and I'll see you down the auction room bidding on a full sized bottle.

Popular Posts