The Stone Roses Glasgow Green 2013

A week ago, Glasgow Green was the place to be as The Stone Roses played the site of their most memorable gig. That was decades ago and 12,000 lucky punters lived on that memory until now when the band retook the Green and united the most diverse audience I've seen so far. In fitting fashion the band were ushered onstage by a bagpiper which you can relive here.
The sheer size of the crowd this time was a sell out at 50k plus. I never realised the scale of this till it was time to head home and weave our way through the debris and rubble of an epic gig. Kids barely into double figures, teenagers with their parents and those just hoping to catch the Roses once before it all goes wrong again - they were all in attendance. Everyone was in position and the band united the crowd and generations. Yes, there were some idiots, far too much alcohol and an abundance of drugs from across the class ranges. Why pay good money for a ticket then proceed to get completely smashed beyond any form of recognition is beyond me. It must be an escape for some. It was sad to hear shortly afterwards that someone died at the gig after falling - hopefully we can all learn from this terrible news. Someone did comment to me that at festivals they've attended everyone keeps a sense of personal space and you can dance, enjoying the music and relax. During this concert it was very much everyone out for themselves. I spent as much time watching others around me during surges and observing the stage antics. Not an issue for me after decades spent in some tough pits like the Jesus Lizard, but the youngsters it was a bit of shock.
Having been fortunate to attend Heaton Park last year, the band were much tighter this time around and more confident. Finally, my own pilgrimage was complete when Elephant Stone was played after Adored. That's the song I wanted more than any on a Roses set list. I'd still go back anytime to see Reni play; effortless and sensational. A drummer to herald. My only criticism of the whole experience was the poor PA. More volume next time lads. Goodness knows what those further back were hearing.

Popular Posts