No More 3D Movies

Monday, January 04, 2010

New Year resolutions are there to be broken however I've decided if I am going to do anything in 2010 its not watch another film in 3D. Over the past 14 months I've experienced 'Coraline', 'Monsters vs Aliens', 'Up' and others without ever really been taken with the format. The more I debate the extra cost and what it brings to the viewing experience I can only conclude that it is frankly a gimmick.

Today I did intend to watch 'James Cameron's Avatar' in 3D and having reconsidered I will wait for the DVD release to actually see if it is a decent movie. Having reviewed the Avatar video game for Gamestyle here it is difficult to whip up any interest in the main event itself. Friends upon seeing it talk about the 3D rather than the storyline or emotions it produces. Having watched Punch Drunk Love over the weekend its clear that few directors have mastered the 2D medium and that of storytelling. Whether 3D is Hollywood pushing a pirate-free format upon the masses and forcing independent cinemas out the door is possible. I know that I'm not going to watch another 3D film unless I have no choice in the matter.

Instead I'm going to check out 'Did You Hear About The Morgans' with my wife this afternoon, she's a big fan of SJP and having enjoyed surprises in unlikely places such as 'Crossing Over' and 'Two Lovers', I'll certainly give it a try.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images