DVDs Are Worthless?

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Or so it seems trying out Music Magpie if you're anticipating moving up to blu-ray, or just clearing out the boxes of films you've never gone back to watch again.


I find myself in the same position, DVD is a great format and one I use to rent, especially films that never received a cinema release. Extremely portable, universal (excluding region coding) and those wonderful extras. Being based on my own experiences of Beta-Max, VHS and Laser Disc, its a vastly superior format. Yet the future will be one without physical media, and that's a huge shame.


I'm already abstaining from randomly buying any old blu-ray. Instead only the classics or collectors/directors/specials/whatever else the marketing dept make up releases are allowed entry. The Kubrick films for instance are wonderfully put together, featuring some top-notch commentaries and background material, same with The Godfather set.


Even then, blu rays are extremely cheap when you know where to look, or when to buy. Very rarely do I pick up one upon release, although I'm trying to fight the urge to acquire Fincher's Button epic, with a host of extras. And I'll know soon enough these discs will be practically worthless, so only the best may apply.


Still, the enjoyment factor makes it all worthwhile.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images